Connecting to Marketo
Marketo is a cloud lead management and marketing solution.
Data integration: Skyvia supports importing data to and from Marketo, exporting Marketo data to CSV files, replicating Marketo data to relational databases, and synchronizing Marketo data with other cloud apps and relational databases.
Backup: Skyvia Backup supports Marketo backup.
Query: Skyvia Query supports Marketo.
Marketo-Specific Features and Limitations
Skyvia has the following limitations for Marketo:
Marketo API supports selecting data from certain objects only by their identifying fields. These are the following objects: Companies, Opportunities, OpportunityRoles, SalesPersons, and all the custom objects. Thus, you cannot get data from these tables unless values of some of their identifying fields of the records you want to get are explicitly specified. You can specify these IDs, for example, by filtering data from these tables by IDs.
Synchronization and Replication with Incremental Updates enabled are not supported for objects without Created At or Updated At fields. Both fields must be present for this functionality.
There are certain limitations in Marketo API on querying the Leads table. Marketo API don’t allow filtering queried leads based on the Updated At fields. Thus, whenever a synchronization or replication with incremental updates is run, all the records are actually queried from the Leads table, and then filtering is performed locally. While only changed records are counted in your Skyvia subscription, internally all of them are queried, and it may use a lot of Marketo API calls and take much time in case if you have a lot of leads. To use less API calls for querying leads, you may select the Use Bulk Extract check box in the Marketo connection editor. Read its description below.
To connect to Marketo, you need to specify the domain to connect to, client id, and client secret.
You need to specify the following parameters for Marketo connection:
- Name — connection name that will be used to identify the connection in the objects list and when selecting a connection for a package.
- Client ID — a GUID value, representing Marketo API client id.
- Client Secret — Marketo API client secret. To configure access to Marketo and get client id and client secret for the connection, check this instruction in Marketo documentation.
- Domain — address of your Marketo subdomain.
Use Bulk Extract — this parameter determines whether to use Marketo Bulk Extract API for reading Marketo leads. This check box affects only reading data from only the Leads object, and it has no effect on working with other objects. If you select this check box, reading Marketo leads will use less API calls, but may take more time. Select this check box only if you need to read very large number of Marketo leads and spend less API calls.
Reading Marketo leads, created within a known period of time will improve reading performance, it’s better to use “Created At” >= some value or/and “Created At” <= some value conditions in filters when using Marketo Bulk Extrat API.
Metadata Cache — this parameter determines how often the cached metadata are updated. By default, Skyvia caches metadata of available objects in cloud sources. When creating a connection, you can configure how often cache is refreshed or, when the connection already exists, you can reset it manually on the Connection Editor page by clicking the Clear Cache button. The following values are available for this setting:
- Disabled — metadata cache is not created; metadata are queried automatically whenever the connection is opened.
- One Hour — metadata cache expires one hour after the last refresh; it is refreshed when the connection is opened again.
- One Day — metadata cache expires one day after the last refresh; it is refreshed when the connection is opened again.
- One Week — metadata cache expires one week after the last refresh; it is refreshed when the connection is opened again.
- One Month — metadata cache expires one month after the last refresh; it is refreshed when the connection is opened again.
- Infinite — cache is never reset automatically. Default value.